Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Elusive 5 km

Yes!  I finally reached the 5 km mark tonight!  That last 1000 meters has eluded me, seeming annoyingly difficult.  I'll let you in some of my inner dialogue during the run:

Treena:  This is getting hard.  I wanna quit.
Treena:  If you slow down, I'm gonna kick your ass.  Keep that pace up soldier!
Treena:  (whiny voice)  But it's taking forever...hey is that wild rhubarb?
Treena:  FOCUS!!  Stop getting distracted by the fauna.  Pay attention to what you are doing!  We're trying for a personal best here!
Treena:  There are tiny bugs all over my face (uugmmph) I think I swallowed one!!!  I'm stopping at that tree, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Treena:  I'll trip you and make you sorry...

And so it goes.  But, that devil voice won, and as a result I ran 5. 07 km in 31 minutes, with a pace of 6.17 minutes/km.  This is very good, for me.  And its crazy how pleased how I was by having the techno voice captured inside my iPod tell me that this was my longest work out so far.  I love that Siri!

I treated myself to a juice from Booster Juice after, which seems to be the Thighmaster of the 2010's.  All my staff who were born in the 90's guarantee me this is the road to eternity.  Meanwhile, I think of what my grandparents would have thought if I had told them this crazy idea of making a celery/carrot/spinach milkshake.  If I'm not mistaken, a similar concept was central to the plot of Popeye, and we all thought that was FUNNY.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I have to say I don't enjoy the booster juice, but if it works for you why not!

    ReplyDelete